Sunny Spring South Indian Style Lemon Rice
Spring is springing and to celebrate, we would like to share Saz's zingy South Indian style lemon rice recipe. It's very quick, very tasty and you can use up your left over rice!
For 2 people, this Indian lemon rice recipe will need:
YOU WILL NEED:
- 2 cups cooked basmati rice
- 1 tablespoon sunflower or vegetable oil
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 1/4 t/spoon or a small pinch of turmeric
- 1 t/spoon mustard seeds
- 1 t/spoon gram dal
- 1 t/spoon cumin seeds
- 2 dried red chillis (optional)
- 2 green chillis (depends on your spice level)
- 2 tablespoon of peanuts and/or cashew nuts
- 6-10 Fresh/dried or frozen curry leaves
- 2 tablespoon fresh coriander
- pinch of asafoetida powder (optional)
- handful of chopped coriander
- salt to taste
- In a pan, heat the oil on medium to high heat
- Add mustard seeds until they pop
- Add gram dal, cumin seeds, red chillis, curry leaves and a pinch of asafoetida
- Add nuts, cook until lightly browned
- Turn down the heat and add green chillis
- Add turmeric and half the salt
- Cook the basmati rice and leave to cool or use room temperature leftover rice
- Add the lemon juice
- Pour the spice and nut mix on the top, mix well - keep some back so you can add to taste
- Add salt to taste
- Add chopped coriander.
This dish will work with aubergine curry - here's the recipe
TIPS: from Saz For the best taste, use groundnut or gingelly oil if you have it.
And that’s it! All that’s left to do now is eat and enjoy! Our Indian lemon rice dish is one of our favourite Indian vegetarian rice recipes.
YOGA RETREAT IN INDIA
If you want to get away from cooking, cleaning, daily chores and lists of things to do, and even leave your guide book at home, join us in India next year for our annual transformational and fun yoga retreats. We've been running them since 2008 and it's our favourite way to spend the winter!